Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tasting: Casarena Synergy Reserva 2011

Name: Casarena Synergy Reserva
Variety: Blend of 70% Malbec, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2011
Price: $20.95
Shop review: "91 Points.  Stephen Tanzer.  Juicy, spicy, and quite suave, with a restrained sweetness and silky texture to the understated flavors of black fruits, spices, and moa" - Vintage Cellar, 2014
My review: Casarena Synergy Reserva poured a deep blood red in the glass.  The nose gave a juicy, jammy aroma of black fruits, especially blackberries and plum.  This Petit Verdot was too hot for me and not my favorite.  I detected notes of mocha on the tongue.  The punch of tannins at the end combined with the woody, oaky flavors made this wine a little too unpleasant for my palate.
Food: I did not pair this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment